Tuesday, February 8, 2011

February Holidays

Emily,

Oh February, how I loathe thee. Despite being the shortest month of the year, you still manage to try and ruin my weight loss efforts with your indulgent foods, spring coming early, and too many opportunities to party.

As I'm sure you can imagine, the superbowl is depressing enough - being around all that food, the cheese dips, the chicken wings, the hamburgers and hot dogs and knowing that you really need to limit yourself on what you eat. Yeah...I definitely struggled with that one on Sunday night. My friend Whit had a party and there was literally an entire crock-pot of velveeta, ground beef and salsa all mixed together with endless tortilla chips to dip into. I couldn't hold back. I HAD to try it. I'm pretty sure I haven't had queso all year (which isn't saying much but still) but it was way too good to pass up. I did stay away from the corn-dip and the brownies but I had to indulge when it came to the chips and the potato skins (which I actually made myself). Of course, I counteracted that by drinking 5 beers but...it happens. But the most depressing thing about the superbowl this year were a few of the comments I heard throughout the evening.

-"Michelle Obama is fat."
  • Whoa there. Slow your roll. Michelle Obama is fat? You're probably wondering what that has to do with the Superbowl - well she was there. And the cameras caught her enjoying the game. And it just so happens that she will be at North Point church on Wednesday to speak on behalf of Childhood Obesity so she became a topic of conversation. And when someone said she was fat, I started to feel even fatter than I already am. I mean, no, I probably wouldn't expect to see the First Lady sporting a bikini on the cover of Shape Magazine but that doesn't mean she's fat.
-"Oh yeah, well you know Chloe Kardashian is a size 6."
  • Wait, really? Where have I been living, under a stupid rock? Because I would have guessed she's a size 12, maybe 14. Maybe I just haven't seen her in a while but I definitely thought she looked bigger than a 6. If she's a 6, then I should be a 2 or 4...and I'm definitely not, so what does that mean? Am I bigger than Chloe Kardashian??
So I'm sure you can imagine how awesome I felt about myself while watching the game - it's a wonder I didn't just turn up the crock pot and shovel queso into my mouth for the rest of the night. But somehow I managed to just turn to booze instead of food.

With Monday being my weigh-in day, I knew that I was going to have to pretty much hardly eat at all yesterday if I was going to lose. Yeah, I know, it's not the most healthy thing to do - starve yourself the day of the meeting then consume every last thing in your household when you get home. But, I sort of did just that. And I sort of hit my 5% last night. I say sort of because if I had eaten normally throughout the day, I probably would have either stayed the same or gained. But all that means is that this week I gotta be extra good. Sure. That'll be easy. Despite what you might think, being single actually doesn't mean you won't have chocolates to gorge on. In fact, I'd say there are more single people who keep Hershey's in business than married/taken people during this holiday. Because we're all wallowing in self pity and chocolate is one of the only things that can make us feel better. I know that might sound a little bit pathetic but if you've ever spent a valentines day with a great guy and then the following year find yourself single, you usually give yourself that day to feel like shit about yourself and binge on ice cream/chocolates/wine/whatever your fancy. Then you get up on the 15th and go on  with your life. So yes, there will be no shortage of Godiva chocolates, cookies, brownies and Reese's in my apartment this weekend.

On top of that, I have 2 parties to go to where I'll be tempted with lots of booze, so losing this week should be a piece of cake, right?

Mmmm. Cake....

~Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment